The Southwestern Union supports its schools and educators in the following ways:
· PL Funds—Professional learning funds for attending a convention, workshop, or webinar every four years—Professional Learning Reimbursement
· EXSEED—Full funding provided for a limited number of educators attending the annual Excellence in STEM Experiential Education (EXSEED) Summer Conference at Loma Linda University, either virtually or in-person. Contact your superintendent if you would like to attend.
· ASCD—Full funding provided for a limited number of educators attending the annual ASCD Conference in March. Contact your superintendent if you would like to attend.
· SWAU Tuition—Classes for certification may be taken at SWAU at a discount. The educator pays for the class up front and is reimbursed for half of the cost after submitting an official transcript to the Union. Check with the certification registrar for further details, email@example.com.
· Webinars—Earn CEUs by attending educator and parent webinars scheduled annually on pertinent topics.
· Summer Institutes—Earn CEUs or academic credit by attending multiple-day trainings on selected topics. Conference covers travel; Union covers hotel and food while at the training.
· Funds are available for the purchase of robotics equipment for a limited number of schools each year. Applications are due July 31. Robotics Grant Application
· A Leadership Camp is planned each fall for academy SA and class officers.
· EbD Scholarship—An Education by Design Scholarship is provided for new students. Information is sent to principals each fall.
· Teacher Education Scholarship—A scholarship is provided to students graduating from 12thgrade who want to be a teacher in a Seventh-day Adventist school and to continue with an education at Southwestern Adventist University or Oakwood University. Teacher Education Scholarship Application
· Caring Heart Award—A scholarship is awarded to one student from each academy who have demonstrated a personal commitment to active participatory service and witnessing activities and programs. Caring Heart Award Guidelines
· Awards for excellence in teaching and leadership are given each spring. Nominations are submitted by superintendents and principals. Excellence in Teaching Awards Form; Excellence in Leadership Awards Form
· Demographic Data Profiles—School Data Profiles are provided each January.
· Surveys—The Union and the conferences share in the administration cost of the annual school surveys for parents, teachers, and students.
· Email Melissa Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org to gain access to an Orton-Gillingham Based Reading Program.